Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Genesis 43-45 Do you see what I see?

From Genesis 43-45



Overview
Gen 43.1-34 Story; Josephs brothers return to Egypt and eat with Joseph
Gen 44.1-44 Story; Joseph tests his brothers
Gen 45.1-28 Story; Joseph reveals himself to his brothers, explains God’s purpose and provides

Passage and comments
We will touch on this theme again soon. it is the acknowledgement by Joseph that behind the scenes he has become aware of God's sovereign care and provision for Joseph and his family.
[4] So Joseph said to his brothers, “Come near to me, please.” And they came near. And he said, “I am your brother, Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. [5] And now do not be distressed or angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life. [6] For the famine has been in the land these two years, and there are yet five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvest. [7] And God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors. [8] So it was not you who sent me here, but God. He has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt. (Gen 45:4-8)
What did it take for Joseph to recognise this? Why don't we more often recognise Gods hand in affairs, good or bad now. I think the Jews are much more likely to see Gods work behind the affairs of this world. Today were more likely to distance God from the world. Consider the common way we think of disasters. Josephs acknowledgment of God's involvement through him is commendable. For those also personally involved in conflict with family or friends, we should also pay heed to Joseph’s attitude upon receiving his brothers. Albeit it would be difficult the manufacture the same kind of test as he did.

Story of Jesus
Today I would like to acknowledge the way Jesus took in his disciples after they had all abandoned him. He appeared to them after he rose from the dead. Other than perhaps a pressing of Peter, he welcomed them with open arms. I guess he still does the same when we turn our backs to him as well. Thank you Lord Jesus for your loving kindness.