Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

Genesis 30-31 Competition and rivalry

From Genesis 30-31



Overview
Gen 30.1-24; Story; Rachel and Leah compete for more babies
Gen 30.25-43; Story; Jacob and Laban compete for a greater flock
Gen 31.1-21; Story; Jacob fears Laban and God commands Jacob to leave
Gen 31.22-42; Story; Laban pursues and catches Jacob
Gen 31.43-55; Story; Laban and Jacob make a covenant of peace

Passage and comments
These couple chapters display unfriendly rivalry between various parties. While readers of these stories see displays of competition and selfishness. Its helpful to realise that behind these stories God has a bigger plan. He is guiding things to completion and something much much better.

For example, through Rachel and Leah's competition of having the most babies (furthering their family lines) and capturing Jacob's favour. God is securing for himself twelves sons who will father the twelve tribes of Israel. And through Israel and in particular the line of Judah, a king will be born. The king Jesus who will do what Israel failed to do - be God's chosen instrument bring salvation and the kingdom of God into fruition.

The story concludes with Jacob's rebuke of Laban;
[36] Then Jacob became angry and berated Laban. Jacob said to Laban, “What is my offense? What is my sin, that you have hotly pursued me? [37] For you have felt through all my goods; what have you found of all your household goods? Set it here before my kinsmen and your kinsmen, that they may decide between us two. [38] These twenty years I have been with you. Your ewes and your female goats have not miscarried, and I have not eaten the rams of your flocks. [39] What was torn by wild beasts I did not bring to you. I bore the loss of it myself. From my hand you required it, whether stolen by day or stolen by night. [40] There I was: by day the heat consumed me, and the cold by night, and my sleep fled from my eyes. [41] These twenty years I have been in your house. I served you fourteen years for your two daughters, and six years for your flock, and you have changed my wages ten times. [42] If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been on my side, surely now you would have sent me away empty-handed. God saw my affliction and the labor of my hands and rebuked you last night.” (Gen 31:36-42)
Jacob recognises as well that behind the scenes God is the one who prospered him. Jacob recognises that the events of history are all under God's control, and the blessing he gave to his fathers still continues through him and his line. Jacob has a strong belief that God is on his side, and the evidence of this is his prosperity despite the hardship he endured within Laban's household.

Story of Jesus
Jesus is the prime example of God making miracles happen out of horrible circumstances. We seen through the selfish rivalry between Rachel and Leah, the twelve sons of Israel. Through Jacob and Laban's dispute a covenant of peace and recognition of God's care over Jacob. Through Jesus' crucifixion and death there are victories like forgiveness, justification, reconciliation and a new kingdom being ushered in. My hope is that when we are pulled into bitter competition, rivalry and conflict, we still continue in faith and hope that God is making something good of it. Lets keep persevering.