Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Genesis 32-34 Jacob wants more

From Genesis 32-34



Overview
Gen 32.1-21; Story; Jacob prepares to meet Esau
Gen 32.22-32; Story; Jacob wrestles with God for his blessing
Gen 33.1-20; Story; Jacob meets Esau in peace
Gen 34.1-31; Story; Dinah is defiled and her brothers take revenge

Passage and comments
Jacob displays great faith and humility saying;
[9] And Jacob said, “O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, O LORD who said to me, ‘Return to your country and to your kindred, that I may do you good,’ [10] I am not worthy of the least of all the deeds of steadfast love and all the faithfulness that you have shown to your servant, for with only my staff I crossed this Jordan, and now I have become two camps. [11] Please deliver me from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau, for I fear him, that he may come and attack me, the mothers with the children. [12] But you said, ‘I will surely do you good, and make your offspring as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.’” (Genesis 32:9-12)
Jacob recognises all the blessings God has given him and that he is not worthy of them. Yet he continues on asking for more and more. He knows that God is very willing to bless him because of his promises. I think as well Jacob recognises the generous and kind nature of the LORD. As we find out God does continue to bless Jacob and his reunion with Esau is a peaceful one despite their previous parting. I think as well Esau who came off the lesser (albeit he did some pretty silly things himself) displayed much forgiveness and generosity himself. Hence the association between Esau and God. Jacob says,
[10] Jacob said, “No, please, if I have found favor in your sight, then accept my present from my hand. For I have seen your face, which is like seeing the face of God, and you have accepted me. (Genesis 33:10)
Story of Jesus
So for anyone who feels particularly deserving of punishment please feel comfort in this story. In like manner through the self sacrifice of Jesus, who died for his people. We also have peace and reconciliation with God. There is no sin or wrongdoing so great that God will not honor his promises of blessing for those who believe Jesus is the promised Christ. Repent of your sin, receive the LORD’s forgiveness and live for him.