Some interesting tips from the Logos blog.
I don't follow all these myself. But check em out anyway.
10. Starting without prayer
9. Studying by yourself
8. Bringing preconceptions to the text
7. Reading from only one perspective
6. Using only one translation
Don’t Make These 10 Common Bible Study Mistakes (Part 1)
5. Missing the historical setting
4. Assuming modern definitions of biblical words
3. Failing to understand the genre
2. Ignoring biblical context
1. Studying for the wrong reasons
Don’t Make These 10 Common Bible Study Mistakes (Part 2)